Monday, November 9, 2009

Today Post::spreading compost and other winter preparations

gnome and pile
compost bins compost barrel

A beautiful warm fall day for garden work. We were out cleaning up the yard and gardens - getting ready for winter. My main project was COMPOST.

My old wood compost bins have finally composted themselves. After 10 or 15 years. Two homemade untreated fir bins. I pulled off all the old decayed wood, then carted the compost to my garden beds. My 2010 plan says there will be tomatoes, eggplants, potatoes and peppers in these home beds next year, which need a nice rich soil. A couple of the beds were cleared out earlier and already have a layer of spread compost with cover crops growing well. Now the rest of the beds have piles of compost. I’ll buy winter rye seed tomorrow (my local hardware store sells it by the pound). Then these beds will be set for winter.

I also have a nice compost barrel this year (new this spring). I’m still getting the hang of how to use this. I piled in some yard waste (old hydrangea blossoms) and gave it some good spins. I’m planning to move this next spring. For now, its near the kitchen door, but next year I’ll put it by the garden beds in the sun to help heat it up. I’m also looking for a good buy on a shredder to generate fine brown material to mix with my kitchen scraps.

The other task-of-the-day was putting away pots. Often I leave them out all winter and find them cracked come spring. I’m so ambitious this year. I emptied most of the pots and stacked them in a sheltered spot. I emptied a pretty pink rose from one pot and stuck this in the ground in a sheltered location. Same with my lavender. I removed it from its pot and planted it next to the rose. This is lavender planted from seeds on Feb 21. Its grown nicely and I’m looking forward to some good sized plants next year.

lavender winter prep

No comments:

Post a Comment