Monday, August 10, 2009

Today Post::garden work

A fantastic day in the garden.

- I picked a handful of tomatoes in my home garden. Lots of cherries and my first two big ones: New Girls - picked on the orangey side to ripen inside because I’m afraid late blight could hit them any day now.

- I bagged the top half of my compost pile, getting rid of all the tomato and potato waste that is contaminated with late blight. Interesting to see what/who was living in the pile: lots of worms and a very bug garter snake.

- I removed one more tomato plant from the community plot. I should remove them all, but couldn’t bear to. All are showing signs of late blight, but plants are so big and green I thought I’d give a few more days. (Someone today told me they are just cutting out the blighted half of the tomatoes and eating the good half. My blighted ones are going in the “blight bag”.)

- Harvesting: a beautiful head of purple cabbage, a big head of broccoli, 5 or 6 summer squash, a small cucumber, and 3 big purple zinnias.

- Then I took 131 photos: photos of all the flowers in the garden, my little wild tomatillos, my 7 foot tall popcorn, and lots of little winter squashes and pumpkins.

- And last, lots of weeding.

- Then I walked around a bit while Skippy chased rabbits.

No comments:

Post a Comment