Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Today Post::grilled beets

griling beets 2

The bottom line is - fantastic!

My husband invented this one. My Lutz beets, his grilling. It was an experiment.

I’ve looked on-line for grilled beet recipes. They suggest grilling whole in foil, or par boiling, or marinating slices 30 min then grilling. We like to do quick food prep: very fresh vegetables - very quick grilling.

My husband make really nice grilled potatoes, carrots, fennel, onions, squash, etc. He slices about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick, brushes with olive oil and adds herbs and/or spices while cooking. Why not beets, we said.

RECIPE: slice fresh beets 1/4 inch thick, place on hot grill, brush with olive oil, cook until done (10-15 minutes), then sprinkle with salt and pepper.

We served these with grilled patty pan squash, onions, fava beans, and beef. A bit of fresh Thai basil on the squash and beef during grilling. All served over a bed of linguine pasta with fresh tomatoes and cucumbers on the side. I can recommend it!

Beet storage: I have a big crop of Lutz, Chiogga and White Detroit beets ready in the garden now. Beets need to be stored in cool, humid conditions. They’ll last 3-4 months at the right conditions, like the bottom drawer of the fridge. The basement is too warm and dry. Since I don’t have a root cellar, we’re thinking of getting a small refrigerator to store these. My summer crop needs to be harvested soon and I have a small fall crop growing. We’ll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment