Saturday, October 31, 2009

Today Post::Breaking news: The invasion

Okay, so maybe I’m being just a little bit over dramatic but I rarely get the opportunity.


When I got to the office today I found this little creature, beautiful as it is, attached to my leg.  I removed it and then it occurred to me.  Could this be a Harlequin Ladybird, Hamonia axyridis?  It was most definitely an unusual specimen.  The number of spots were more numerous than others I’ve come across.



With a little research I had eliminated our native ladybirds and had convinced myself that it is in fact a Harlequin.  So, what do you think?


For more information on Harlequin Ladybirds click here.  I have reported my sighting to the U.K. Ladybird Survey and urge you to do the same so that we can monitor the spread of such invasive species and also populations of our native species.

No comments:

Post a Comment