Friday, May 8, 2009

Propagating plants from cuttings

First let me make it clear, when god was giving out patience I didn't get the memo. That's the reason that propagating plants has never been part of my gardening experience.
My 96-year-old Dad on the other hand has been blessed with an abundance of patience, that's why he is the king of propagating. The man can turn any weakly looking cutting into a beautiful tree, many of the plants in my garden started as cuttings in Dad's garden. My father is from the old school of gardening; he believes that buying plants is a sin, and he is not shy to ask anyone for a cutting of plants he would like to see in his garden.
This week I decided to give the practice of propagating plants from cuttings a try, I purchased rooting hormones, and I got cuttings from my neighbor's red hibiscus, my Persian shield and a cool plant that I don't know the name of at another neighbor's garden.
If I am successful it could bring my gardening hobby to a new level of satisfaction, and help my wallet during these taught economic times.

No comments:

Post a Comment