Wednesday, July 15, 2009

New Post: Struggling up the ladder

I was feeling morose a while back. My beautiful Jacob’s ladder (the Bressingham Purple) looked deader than a doornail. Polemoniums normally come through the winter with most of their foliage intact, but all I could see were dead stubs. I was, quite frankly, miffed. I’d grown rather attached to this particular form of Jacob’s ladder, with its purplish cast and long-lasting flowers. It looked particularly nice with a frothing of deadnettle at its feet.

And then the other day I was doing my normal poking around and what did I see? This.

Bressingham Purple Jacob's ladder
None of the reading I’ve done on this cultivar mentioned that it was a late riser or that it behaved differently than other Polemoniums. So as a public service I’m letting you know you shouldn’t give up too quickly on this baby. It remains to be seen if it will come back as strong as last year. If it doesn’t, I’ll conclude that it’s only borderline hardy in this zone, and make sure I mulch it well next winter.

For now, I am happy to see that it is coming back at all. There are a few residents of my garden that are missing in action or a bit worse for wear. But I’ll tell the sob stories later. For the time being I am looking at my bleeding heart with a real sense of awe. A square metre they said it needed. Piffle! This thing is more than a metre across in its third year and the poor grape-leaved anemone behind it is feeling a bit crowded. Not for nothing that all its new shoots have sprouted further away from its rather overbearing neighbour. But I love it all the same.

Bleeding heart

Technorati tag:

No comments:

Post a Comment