Wednesday, July 15, 2009

SecretBlog: They asked me to plant the office!

They asked my advice and I gave it.  They then gave me the credit card!


I was asked to give a ball park estimate as to how much it would cost to provide plants for our office. Instantly I was suspicious.  What’s going on?  Who’s taken our managers and replaced them with Gardener’s World presenters in disguise?  So I made a guesstimate and to my surprise it was accepted! I was then given the credit card and asked to get on with it.  
Although I’m not exactly passionate about houseplants I was rather excited about the prospect of bringing plant-life into our new sterile office.  It needed some life and apart from a few of my plants the office looked like a sea of magnolia paint splattered with magenta upholstery and reconstituted wood.  As soon as they were in the space suddenly felt better and looked a lot more welcoming.
In total I bought 12 plants:
1 x Spathyphillum
1 x Dracaena massangeana
1 x Yucca elephantipes
1 x Chrysalidocarpus lutescens
1 x Dracaena marginata
1 x Sansevieria trifasciata ‘Laurentii’
4 x Crassula ovata
2 x small Dracaena marginata
I chose the plants as they are all pretty tolerant of our office conditions.  Relatively warm with hostile inhabitants, I’m sure they’re reading this!, and I thought it would be good to have some drought tolerance as we all know office plants are fairly neglected.
The first comment I had, however, was in reference to the above meeting room: “I’m unsure about the hedge on the table”!  Well, I guess you can’t win all the time?!

No comments:

Post a Comment