Wednesday, July 15, 2009

SecretBlog: Plant I.D. needed.

In general I’m pretty good when it comes to plant names.  That said, when things self seed from other peoples gardens or just “arrive” it is sometimes possible to find me staring, wondering ‘What the hell is that leafy thing?  It doesn’t look like a weed.  I’m sure I didn’t plant that there, etc’.  

That applies to this plant.
My garden is relatively new.  As I’ve discussed in previous blog articles it was completely graveled over when I bought the house two years ago.  Since claiming back the garden from the sea of gravel I’ve had a few nice surprises.  Some gorgeous Verbascum has appeared, Valerian, Hedera, and now this.
In it’s early development I just thought it was the flower spike of Stachys grandiflora ‘Rosea’, however it is actually growing through the crown of this plant.
It’s strange.  Usually when something “appears” I hate it and want it gone straight away but I actually really like this plant.  I wanted more white in the garden and this has landed in the perfect spot.  Call it fate, or whatever you like, but maybe I’ve developed a telepathic link with the garden?  Maybe I could ask it for a multi stemmed tree?!
So what do you think it is?  Initially I was thinking along the lines of Campanula.  After a bit of research I’m thinking Symphandra? Possibly pendula?
With the wealth of knowledge out there I’m sure one of you fabulous people will be able to accurately I.D. it and give me some cultural information. 
But who will be first?

No comments:

Post a Comment