Monday, April 27, 2009

The turn of the apple tree

This year has seen our best blossoms in a long time. The apricot tree blossom came quite early this year, after the cold winter. It is now the turn of the apple tree to bloom some colourful blossom. Over the last couple of weeks, the blossom has appeared. Over this time, I have taken pictures of the growing blossom.

The blossom which was first noted a few weeks ago was rather pinkish as it was only just emerging. In the sun, the colours were stunning. In the photo montage below, you will see this.

A week or so later and the blossom started to change colour to white. The evening sun lit the flowers up beautifully and I took a few shots of it. At this point the blossom was starting to get bigger too. The macro mode on my camera really came in useful with the flowers.

The montage below shows the blossom in complete bloom. I will soon start to see the large white flowers falling to the ground and the leaves will take over the tree. I wonder if the bees will like the fully emerged white blossom.

It really is amazing to follow the lives of garden plants through their blooms, especially if you get photo records too.

In my next posting, I hope to talk of my most recent nature reserve trip (albeit a short one) and my sightings there. But for now, I think I will just enjoy the sun while it lasts here in South East England.

No comments:

Post a Comment