Saturday, September 26, 2009

Today Post::A new find and possibly a new species!

Last night I watched an episode of ‘Lost Land of the Volcano’, a BBC series in which a team of scientists, cavers and wildlife filmakers venture deep in to the heart of the remote tropical island of New Guinea to explore a giant extinct volcano - Mount Bosavi. 





“What has this got to do with a picture of an ugly yellow flowering plant?” I hear you ask.  

Well, in the programme mentioned above the scientists are constantly discovering new species of animals including frogs, insects, giant rats, etc.  Earlier today the memory of these epic finds sent my imagination in to overdrive when stumbling upon a plant that I didn’t buy, sow or plant myself.  So, although it is extremely unlikely to be anything new to science, it’s new to me.  


Does anyone know what this is?  Is it even garden worthy?

It has popped up under one of my tree ferns (Dicksonia antarctica) and it is rather unlikely to stay there.  I apologise for the poor photography but hope it’s enough to gather some identification.


Also, please remember entries for my competition to win a pair of professional Felco sceateurs need to be in by 1st October 2009.  You can enter by leaving a comment here.

No comments:

Post a Comment