Saturday, September 26, 2009

Today Post::broccoli

broccoli 1
broccoli 3 broccoli 2

I think I’m going to give up on fall broccoli. My spring broccoli seems to produce all year long. It seems that next year I should just double my spring planting and forget about the fall crop. That’s certainly easier that way.

I find that some of my plants produce big heads in early summer, then produce side shoots for a while. But others take so long to grow that they don’t make heads until late summer. After the first head is cut, they still produce shoots for quite a while.

I have three varieties this year: Green Sprouting Calabrese, Blue Wind and Marathon. I’m not sure which is which. (Labeling is not my strength.) I bought Blue Wind because its supposed to produce a nice fall crop. The Green Sprouting Calabrese is the one that gives nice small shoots for a long time. Marathon makes beautiful big spring heads in my parents garden, but I think it makes smaller heads all season for me.

I did plant some fall broccoli seeds in early August. Its still very tiny. Same as last year. Probably I’m just not giving it ideal conditions and it grows slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment