Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Today Post::garden update

Good
- I picked 4 ears of BEAUTIFUL popcorn. I am so happy with these!!!
- I have harvested 2 little pumpkins and 3 big butternut squash so far.
- My two giant pumpkins both look bigger than the 11 pounder I grew last year. They are just starting to show a little orange.
- My flowers are brightening up the garden very nicely now: big purple zinnias, an ornamental bean (I have forgotten the name) and bright marigolds.
- Lots of eggplant!
- Time to make pesto ASAP.
- And time to make tomato sauce. Vines are very heavy with fruits!

Not so good news
- Several savoy cabbages have rotten before ripening. Maybe a stem problem. I had too many anyway, but wish I knew what it was.
- Powdery mildew is quickly killing the squashes and pumpkin vines.
- A few worms in the tips of some of the popcorn ears, but I just cut the tips off.
- The squirrel have found my Sungold cherry tomatoes. He’s small - plenty to share.
- My tomato vines are starting to break where they have looped over the top rail and started to grow hanging town.

No comments:

Post a Comment