Thursday, September 10, 2009

Today Post::butternut squash harvest

buttternut squash harvest

This is my butternut squash harvest this year! Minus the 3 I’ve already given away. 23 squashes - 60 pounds total. I’m looking forward to enjoying lots of squash this winter.

I had 5 plants, I think. So that’s 4 or 5 squash per plant each averaging 2 1/2 lbs. The biggest squash are 4-5 lbs and the smallest ones are just over 1 lb. I think my yield is actually lower than what’s advertised for this squash. Seems pretty amazing to me!

The variety I grew is the original Waltham Butternut. It was introduced in 1970 by the Massachusetts Agricultural Experiment Station (AES) in Waltham. The squash originated in Stow, Massachusetts, on what is now the Butternut Farm Golf Club. You can read about it’s development here.

No comments:

Post a Comment