Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Today Post::tomato taste test results

tomato taste test 2

And the winners were …. Cherokee Purple and Sungold!

I have eight varieties of tomatoes along the south side of my house. Seven were perfectly ripe and we tasted them side-by-side.

1. Orange Blossom
2. Mortgage Lifter
3. Big Beef
4. New Girl
5. Cherokee Purple
6. Brandywine Sudduth’s Strain
7. Sungold

I think the way we did the test had an affect on the results. We tested the tomatoes plain, no food, no salt, one after the other. We were surprised that none tasted as good as we expected.

The big heirlooms, Brandywine and Mortgage Lifter were mealy with not much flavor. Big Beef and New Girl were more firm, but still not much flavor. Orange Blossom tasted nice and firm. Sungold was really sweet! Wonderful. Very nice if you like all the skin of a cherry tomato. And Cherokee Purple had a nice tomato flavor, looks great, and, since I’m not a fan of cherries, I pick it as the WINNER! (My husband picked the Sungold.)

I suspect if we taste tested with Parmesan, salt and basil the results would be different. Even just salt. Then the taste wouldn’t have just been about consistency. I’m still a Brandywine fan …. And the winner for appearance was the big pink Mortgage Lifter.

tomato taste test 1 tomato taste test 3

No comments:

Post a Comment