Saturday, September 26, 2009

Today Post::stir fried green beans

beans

I’m growing four types of green beans this year:

- Shunguang’s long Chinese pole beans (the best)
- Fortex pole beans (very nice)
- Provider green bush beans
- Royal Burgundy bush beans

They are growing in next to my house in reduced sunlight (about 11-3pm). They do well here and are always ready for a quick vegetable dish. I’ve been letting some of the pods mature on the vines recently. I’ll harvest these later and let then dry for seed for next year. I’m thinking I’ll skip the two bush bean varieties next year and only grow the pole beans. They taste much better to me.

green beans in the wok stir fried green beans

This is a quick and easy vegetable dish. I added my garlic and Thai hot peppers. It is delicious served over rice with some roast duck on the side. Also nice with pork fried rice.

Recipe:
1 Tbs peanut oil
1 tsp minced fresh ginger (optional)
1 large clove minced garlic
1 minced Thai hot pepper (use the seeds too)
1/2 lb fresh green beans

To wok, add all of the above. Stir fry for 3 minutes (’til the beans just start to brown).

2 Tbs dry sherry or vermouth
2 Tbs soy sauce
2 tsp cornstarch combined with 2 Tbs cold water

Add all of these to wok with the beans. Stir fry until the sauce comes to a boil and thickens. Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment